Constructed circa 1857, the carriage barn, located directly behind the main house, is comprised of three separate timber-framed buildings. In the early 1900s George Nixon Black, Jr. remodeled the barn for his prized horses, reflecting his Colonial Revival tastes. The barn was significantly reduced in size and modified again in 1948.
Across from the carriage barn is the sleigh barn. Perhaps originally used as a hen house, the structure later housed Woodlawn’s sleigh collection. It was restored in 2008 and made into a program space.
Woodlawn Museum, Gardens & Park
P.O. Box 1478 • Rte. 172 • Ellsworth, Maine 04605 • (207) 667-8671